If you would like an in-house counsel position, it is important to understand what General Counsels are looking for in a new hire. Some of the skills and qualities that General Counsels are seeking include:
- Someone who can understand the company’s goals and objectives and can analyze legal risks in light of those goals and objectives.
- Someone who works well on a team and can collaborate with others.
- Someone who has a desire to grow and can learn new things quickly.
- Relevant experience in the company’s industry.
- Some in-house legal departments prefer attorneys with a broad skill set, while other in-house legal departments look for attorneys with niche practice areas.