Central Florida office of national company has immediate in house internship opportunity. This is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience this summer! Check out Symplicity today for details and application instructions.
Click here to watch the Alternative Careers for Lawyers panel discussion presented by the New York State Bar Association highlighting the career paths of four lawyers in successful alternative careers. The panelists include a lawyer specializing in Business and Legal Affairs for MTV; the President of Nicholas & Lence Communications, a strategic communications, marketing, and government affairs firm; the Director of Sales Operations for Bloomberg Law; and the Chief Compliance Officer for Calypso Capital Management. The panelists discuss the paths that led them to their alternative careers and offer unique insight into opportunities within their respective industries. The panel is moderated by Hillary Mantis, Esq., author of Alternative Careers for Lawyers, which is available in the CSD Library.
Medtronic Surgical Technologies is currently accepting applications from 1L’s and 2L’s for an internship with their in-house legal department in Jacksonville to work with their Senior Legal Counsel and Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer on a wide range of corporate compliance and legal activities. This is a great opportunity to gain legal experience while learning about the functions of in-house counsel.
The application deadline for this great internship is this Friday (May 11th)! Don’t miss out! Log onto Symplicity to find out more information about this internship and to apply!
The health care debate has been heard by the Supreme Court. But what was argued and why? What are the potential effects to your health care? Join us as we host local experts who will debate the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) at a health care symposium.
- What: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act panel debate
- When: Tuesday, April 17th from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Florida Coastal School of Law, Room 550
- Hugh Greene, CEO of Baptist Health, will serve as the policy expert
- Joe Jacquot, former chief of staff to Bill McCollum, 2007-2011 Florida Attorney General
- Professor Darren R. Latham, Florida Coastal School of Law
This event is sponsored by Impact Jax, the Jacksonville Bar Association, and Florida Coastal School of Law.
Still working on those summer plans? Getting more stressed out every time someone asks you what you are doing after graduation? Or just now thinking about your upcoming legal (or non-legal) career? If so, then this is the program for you!
The Career Services Department is hosting the 50 Yard Line on Thursday, April 5th from 11:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. exclusively for 2L’s (spring or fall admit). This Lunch n’ Learn program will help you find answers to those questions and more. The event will be held in room 465.
The program will include:
- Market Assessment
- Developing a Career Action Plan
- Speaker, Kathryn A. Adams, Attorney at Saalfield Shad Attorneys at Law
Lunch will be provided, so please RSVP on Symplicity by Tuesday, April 3rd!
Most attorneys working in-house started their career path by working in law firms. However, Inside Counsel recently published an article featuring four attorneys who went straight from law school to corporate jobs. Read this article to find out how these four in-house attorneys used networking, a career fair, a contract position, and an alternative career to make it to their dream job as in-house counsel. (Click here to read the article on InsideCounsel.com.)
The good news is that according to the National Association for Legal Professionals (NALP), the number of law school grads going into in-house positions upon graduation increased by 2.4% in 2010. While most of these positions were likely with large corporations that have a focus on hiring law school graduates, such as HP and Pfizer, some of these hires were likely students who had done exceptionally well in a legal internship or externship with a company while in school. Is this yet another reason to get legal experience while in law school?!
Now for the not so good news. Out of the 36,043 law school graduates in 2010, only 870 graduates (roughly 2%) went into in-house positions upon graduation. But that was more than the 700 graduates the previous two years!
The CBS Law Department is accepting applications for its 2012 Diversity Internship Program. Go to the Corporate Counsel Women of Color’s website (Click here) to access the internship application. Don’t delay in applying – applications must be postmarked no later than MARCH 23, 2012!
A Contact Specialist for the government develops and awards a full range of contacts for goods and services used by the government. Duties of a contract specialist may include:
- Plan solicitations for supplies and services and analyze contract proposals.
- Negotiate and evaluate contact terms.
- Award contracts and perform detailed administrative functions.
- Ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions during term of contract.
- Terminate contracts when necessary and perform contract closeouts.
- Formulate contracting strategies and advise on contracting actions.
- Meet with employees at all levels on all types of procurement issues and concerns.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of clients’ procurement requirements and serve as subject matter expert on the clients’ professional fields.
- Healthcare Regulatory Policy Coordinator
- Records Administrator for the District Attorney
- Contract Analyst
- Claims Attorney (in-house)
- Healthcare Staff Attorney (in-house)
- Law-Related Education Coordinator
- Legal Services Director
- Personal Injury Client Manager
- Foreclosure Mediations Specialist