If you would like an in-house counsel position, it is important to understand what General Counsels are looking for in a new hire. Some of the skills and qualities that General Counsels are seeking include:
- Someone who can understand the company’s goals and objectives and can analyze legal risks in light of those goals and objectives.
- Someone who works well on a team and can collaborate with others.
- Someone who has a desire to grow and can learn new things quickly.
- Relevant experience in the company’s industry.
- Some in-house legal departments prefer attorneys with a broad skill set, while other in-house legal departments look for attorneys with niche practice areas.
Clinics and externships are great ways to gain legal experience while also earning class credit. In the past, externships have been available with the in-house counsel departments at Fidelity, Pacer, The Stellar Group, and Wounded Warrior Project, among others. Externships are a great way to explore whether a career as in-house counsel is right for you.
Come find at more about the different experiences available, how you can sign up, and how you earn class credit at one of these information sessions:
- Tuesday, September 20th: 5-6 in Room 425
- Thursday, September 22nd: 12-1 in Room 425
- Friday, September 23rd: 11-12 in Room 425
- Monday, September 26th: 2-3 in Room 425
The North Florida Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is holding a CLE titled “Managing Your Career as In-House Counsel” on Thursday, September 15th from 12 – 1:30 at a location off of Southside (close to JTB). A full description of the event and the presenters is included below.
ACC events are usually not open to students, however, the ACC President has extended an invitation for a limited number of current Florida Coastal students to attend this event free of charge. The first 5 students to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) confirming that they can attend the event will get to go! Please note that you cannot attend the event unless I have RSVP’d for you. Students who are attending will meet in the Career Services Office on Thursday, September 15th at 11:20 and we will carpool to the event. This is a great networking and educational opportunity, so I hope you can go!! Feel free to email or call me if you have any questions!
The seminar will begin with a discussion of national and regional in-house compensation data and trends provided by representatives of Special Counsel, the nation’s premier source of customized legal workforce solutions.
After the in-house compensation review, a panel discussion by general counsel of three of Jacksonville’s top in-house law departments will answer your career-related questions – where to look for in-house counsel positions, how to interview to win the position, how to get promoted, how to keep your skills fresh and remain valuable to your clients, etc. Our distinguished panel will include
- Michael Herman, Vice President and General Counsel of Rayonier Inc., a publicly-traded global forest products company with 2010 revenues of $1.3 billion
- Barbara Johnston, General Counsel of Regency Centers, a publicly-traded national developer, owner and operator of grocery-anchored and community shopping centers operating almost 400 shopping centers throughout the United States
- Charlie Joseph, Senior Vice President and General Counsel & Corporate Secretary of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Inc., an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida provides health care coverage for over 4 million enrollees in the State of Florida.