This is an exciting time for all of us as we begin a new semester here at Florida Coastal School of Law. Whether you are a new 1L just beginning your Coastal journey, you’re returning for your very last semester with us, or you’re somewhere in between, all of us in Academic Success look forward to a great semester with you! Our team is dedicated to assisting students from their first day of orientation up through preparing for, and passing, their respective state bar exam. Our mission is to assist you in maximizing your academic potential. All counselors are licensed attorneys in good standing with various state bars. The unique experiences and specialties of each counselor help students improve their performance in law school.
As a refresher to our returning students, and new info for our incoming 1L’s, here’s a quick overview of the services offered by our department:
1. Individual Appointments – Counselors are available to meet with any and all students about any issues that are of concern (adjustment to law school, class prep, study skills, essay writing, exam prep, bar application questions, etc.).
2. Writing Assistance – Counselors and the Writing Specialist meet with students regarding legal writing issues, review of essays and writing samples, and improving grammar, punctuation and style.
3. Law School Foundations I – Counselors instruct all 1L’s in a skills-development seminar intended to provide new students with the instruction necessary to become active and successful learners. Emphasis is placed on the skills necessary to perform will on the written law school exam.
4. Law School Foundations II - Counselors continue to build on the skills developed in Law School Foundations I. Focus is on identifying areas for improvement based on first semester results and continuing practice to fully develop effective essay-writing techniques.
5. Upper-Level Students – Counselors have created a series of online vodcasts available on the Academic Success SharePoint site. Among other things, these vodcasts cover second-semester and upper-level essay writing topics and information about bar prep. During your third year at Coastal, our department offers two bar prep courses (Advanced Florida Bar Studeies and Multistate Bar Exam Strategies) to help students begin to prepare for their state bar exam.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of services, but it is plenty for now. On behalf of my team, I would like to once again welcome you to Florida Coastal School of Law. We look forward to meeting with, and getting to know, each and every one of you. Please check back often for information on upcoming events, study tips, etc. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them in the comments section or stop by the Academic Success Suite on the 5th floor in room 580.