Loosing steam??? Did you know…. Beets are high in natural nitrates. Nitrates assist our body’s blood vessels in expansion which allows our blood vessels to enjoy more oxygen, more nutrients, and more energy.
Boost your energy with this beet risotto recipe!
3/4 pound beets (1 bunch small), roasted
6-7 cups chicken or vegetable stock, as needed
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Salt/ ground pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425. Wrap beets in aluminum foil and place in oven safe pan. Bake 40-60 min. until beets are easily pierced with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool. When cool peel, and dice.
2. Pour stock into a saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
3. Saute onion in large saucepan, until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.�
4. Add the rice and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the grains of rice are separate and beginning to crackle, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the wine and cook over medium heat until just about evaporated. Stir in a ladleful of the simmering stock and cook, stirring often, until liquid is just about absorbed. Add another ladleful or two of the stock and continue to cook in this fashion, not too fast and not too slowly, for apx. 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the diced beets and additional stock until rice is just barely covered. Stir mixture continuously for another 10 to 15 minutes. Taste a bit of the rice. Is it cooked through? It should taste chewy but not hard in the middle. If the rice is still hard in the middle, you add another ladleful of stock stirring for another 5 minutes or so, repeating if necessary until rice reaches desired consistency.
7. Add ground pepper and salt to taste. Stir in another half cup of stock, Parmesan, 1/2 cup frozen peas, and the parsley.