The Career Services Department would like to wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday! We will be closed on Thursday and Friday, Nov. 28-29, and will re-open for regular business hours on Monday, Dec. 2.
Stop by to see a counselor and get answers to any job search questions you have or ask questions about using Symplicity while you enjoy an afternoon coffee. We can also schedule appointments for more complex questions.
You can pick up the most up-to-date job search checklists, a yellow bookmark, a CSD pen and our fall events calendar. We also have hot chocolate and hot teas as well as delicious snacks!
1. Showing up late. If being late is unavoidable, make sure you call and explain the reason. Do not, though, run behind due to your lack of planning–it implies you will not be able to make deadlines and is unacceptable to employers. Plan ahead, figure out where the interview is located and get an early start.
2. Lack of preparation. This is the single biggest complaint of interviewers and indicates to them that you may not be ready for the responsibillities of the position. Make sure you have copies of your resume, have researched the position and the firm, and are dressed appropriately.
3. Dressing inappropriately or wearing too much perfume/cologne. Please consult the Career Services Handbook for tips.
4. The inability to answer multiple questions or failing to answer the question asked. This is where preparation comes into play–if you have researched and prepared some answers in advance to possible questions, you will not be caught off guard. If you don’t know the answer, say so, and let them know that you will find out the answer. With regard to failing to answer the question asked–practice your listening skills and during an interview directly answer the question asked, do not go off on tangents.
5. Talking too much. While you are probably nervous, answer the question at hand and then stop unless encouraged by the interviewer to go on.
6. Lack of eye contact. Again, everyone understands you are nervous, by you must greet the interviewer with a handshake, a smile, and eye contact. This eye contact should continue for the duration of the interview. Practice if you have to.
7. Not having questions ready to ask the interviewer. Nothing says lack of interest more than you not having a few well thought out questions ready to ask your interviewer.
Need help preparing for your interview? Contact our office at 680-7744 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment with a counselor today!
Attention Alumni taking the Bar Exam outside of Florida: The Career Services Department will be hosting a breakfast for YOU on Monday, July 8th at 8:30 a.m.!! Next Monday’s breakfast will include an interactive presentation on Linkedin, Twitter and your career search. We’ll also provide you with delicious breakfast items to energize you!
Let us help you get your day started!
RSPV to Ray Adams @ firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 5th at Noon. Hope to see you all on Monday!
We will now be hosting ONE blog for all of your CSD needs! We are consolidating each of our separate blogs into Career Crossroads. Now, everything you need to know about Diversity, Private Practice, Alternative Careers, Government & Public Interest and anything else related to your career will be hosted on this blog. Simply use the appropriate tag at the bottom of each post to select your interest. For example, when you’re searching for a job in alternative careers, scroll to the right-hand side of the blog under the Categories header, click on “Job Opportunity” and then click “Alternative Careers” under the Tags header. Your preferences will sort based on your selections.
Questions about the blog? Contact Abby Lee at email@example.com.
Students and Alumni: remember to log onto Symplicity and update your profile in order to view the latest news, such as job postings and OCIs, that are pertinent to you! It’s important to update information like your class year, expected graduation date and geographic preferences, which are not updated automatically. While the CSD will change class years and expected graduation dates for students each summer, it is necessary for each student to ensure that this information is correct. If it is not, you have the ability to change this under your “Academic Profile” tab. The ability to request a counseling appointment on Symplicity will resume in the Fall!
If you have questions about Symplicity, please contact Tara Block at firstname.lastname@example.org or 680.7744.
For those alumni who will be taking the Bar Exam outside of Florida and are busy studying, the Career Services Department will be hosting a breakfast for YOU next Monday, June 24th at 8:30 a.m. Next Monday’s breakfast will include a brief, interactive presentation on resumes & cover letters. Specifically, we will cover how to adjust your resume to reflect your graduate and bar exam status. Additionally, we will talk about tailoring your resume and cover letters to highlight transferrable skills. Plus, we’ll provide you with delicious breakfast items to energize you!
Let us help you get your day started!
RSPV to Ray Adams @ email@example.com by Thursday , June 20th at Noon. Hope to see you all next Monday!
The Alumni Chapters will be hosting summer events for alumni, current students and admitted students heading to Coastal in the Fall. Follow the hyperlink on each city’s name for more information including a link to the Facebook event and the opportunity to RSVP. You may also RSVP by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, June 11 at 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Charlotte Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at the Icehouse.
- Thursday, June 20 at 6:00-8:00 p.m.: Orlando Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at TAPS.
- Wednesday, July 17 at 6:00-8:00 p.m.: Tampa Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at Brio.
- Saturday, July 20 at 4:00-6:00 p.m.: Atlanta Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at 5 Seasons Brewing Company in Sandy Springs.
- Wednesday, July 24 at 6:00-8:00 p.m.: Tallahassee Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at Level 8 Lounge at Hotel Duval.
- Tuesday, July 27 at 5:00-7:00 p.m.: Pensacola Alumni Chapter Summer Send Off at Jaco’s Bayfront Bar & Grill.
Hope to see you there!