Directing Attorney Position in San Diego
The Immigration Center for Women and Children (ICWC) seeks a full-time directing attorney in the new San Diego office. ICWC is a non-profit legal organization providing affordable immigration services to underrepresented women and children in California. ICWC strives to provide security and stability for children who are abused, abandoned or neglected and for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. For more information please see www.icwclaw.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The directing attorney will work with the executive director in setting up and opening the new San Diego location. The directing attorney will work with legal assistants in a small, busy non-profit. The attorney will be responsible for providing direct immigration legal services, outreach and education to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Duties include: conducting client intake, case assessment, ongoing case management, researching and drafting legal documents and attending court hearings. The attorney will work collaboratively with social service and law enforcement agencies. The attorney will primarily work with providing relief under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the U visa and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS). The attorney will also supervise law students and other volunteers.
- Juris Doctorate and active California bar admission
- Minimum three years immigration law practice with VAWA and U visa experience
- Strong writing skills and a meticulous attention to detail
- Oral and written Spanish language fluency required
- A demonstrated interest in low-income legal services or a commitment to civil liberties and immigrants’ rights
- Ability to work independently and supervise office operations
- Ability to work effectively with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Ability to work effectively and communicate with law enforcement, representatives of government and English/Spanish media
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental and vision insurance, a retirement plan and paid time off.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume and brief writing sample via email to:
Suzanne McCormick, Executive Director