For more than 35 years, Ayuda has been the DC area’s leading source of multilingual legal and social services for thousands of low-income immigrants in the areas of immigration, human trafficking, domestic violence, and sexual assault. Ayuda seeks to hire a temporary, bilingual Immigration Attorney to serve for a period of approximately 8 months to manage a caseload of predominately humanitarian based immigration cases on behalf of domestic violence and sexual assault survivors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct legal intakes and provide legal advice & counsel on humanitarian based immigration matters, including, but not limited to asylum, VAWA petitions, and U and T Visa applications;
- Provide direct legal representation before USCIS, USICE, and EOIR to domestic violence and sexual assault clients in Immigration matters listed above;
- Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
- Conduct trainings to area service providers and outreach presentations to potential client groups;
- Assist with the preparation and submission of grant applications and reports; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- J.D. and active membership in the bar of any US state or territory (membership in the Maryland or Virginia Bar desirable)
- At least 2 years of experience in the field of immigration
- Fluent Spanish REQUIRED
- Fluency in French, in addition to Spanish, is highly desirable.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance.
Location: 6925B Willow Street, NW, Washington, DC 20012
To Apply: On or before February 15, 2012, email the following to Christina Wilkes, Legal Director at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of 3 professional references