Sixty-four year old New Jersey resident Jeanne McCarthy joined the dating service Two of Us because she understood the service ran criminal checks on its members. McCarthy paid $7,000 to the matchmaking service and complained that she was only matched with two people in five months and that only resulted in one date with a man who had three DUI convictions and an outstanding criminal warrant. Ms. McCarthy no longer believes that Two of Us screens their clients. You can read more about the dating trials and tribulations of Ms. McCarthy here.
Need something to take your mind off bar studying? Summer classes got you down? Check out some of the cool things to do around Jacksonville this weekend.
- Go to the theatre and enjoy Hot Mikado at 8pm on Friday and Saturday night, or catch the matinee performance on Sunday at 2pm. It’s an update of the classic Gilbert and Sullivan operetta at Theatre Jacksonville.
Friday June 17th
- It’s opening night for the new movie-musical Rock of Ages! Go see it in all its big-haired glory at the IMAX or on a smaller screen. Either way I’m sure you all can’t wait to hear Tom Cruise rock a power ballad.
Saturday June 16th
- The Riverside Arts Market from 10am-4pm is always a great place to start your Saturday.
- Work off those Friday night indulgences with a free-2-hour Zumba fitness jam at Studio Jear Group Fitness from 10am-12pm.
Sunday June 17th
- Enjoy a free concert at the Florida Youth Orchestra Festival at 2pm and 4pm.
- Celebrate Father’s Day and enjoy complimentary admission to the museum at the World Golf Hall of Fame from 10am-6pm.
There are a lot of interesting activities in Jacksonville and the surrounding areas this weekend. Take a look at some of the offerings:
Friday, June 8th –
- Have fun watching the Mad Cowford Improv Comedy on Friday, June 15th from 8:15pm to 10:00pm at Northstar Substation, Jacksonville.
Saturday, June 9th –
- The Riverside Arts Market (RAM) is back in full swing under the Fuller Warren Bridge from 10am to 4 pm.
- Watch a live star show in Skies Over Jacksonville on Saturday at 2:00pm at the Jacksonville Museum Of Science And History
- Watch artist Marc Licari in Project Atrium: Mark Licari Saturday at 10:00 to 4:00 at MOCA Jacksonville
- FREE Health Fair “The Great Outdoors – Sun Safety” Saturday 10:00am to 4:00pm at The Florida Blue Center at The Markets at Town Center in Jacksonville.
Sunday, June 10th –
- Listen to music at the Intermezzo Sunday Concert with pianist Jost Van Dyke on Sunday, June 10th from 2:30p to 4:00p at the Main Library – Hicks Auditorium ,Jacksonville.
- Beach Walk and Talk Sunday at 2:00pm at Huguenot Memorial Park, Jacksonville.
- North Florida Land Trust (NFLT) Conservation Jubilation Open House and Fish Fry Sunday at 1:00pm to 6:00pm at Big Talbot House, Jacksonville.
Interested in feeding your inner Constitutional Lawyer? Check out The Supreme Court Previews from the Legal Information Institute. Cornell’s LII Supreme Court Bulletin is an electronic journal edited by second- and third-year law students. This bulletin provides you with previews of cases that are currently before the U.S. Supreme Court. You can also find docket information as well as the opinion, once it has been handed down. Wondering what all the hubbub is about in Arizona’s controversial immigration statute? First you will need some background information from Jon Stewart. Then take a look at the LII’s information here. Be sure to read the law or this might happen. Also, take a look at what some proud Arizona residents think.
Do you have a burning desire to write about a legal topic that you are passionate about? Look here to see if you can be a contributor.
If you are ever in a stalemate with opposing counsel, you can try to break it the way United States District Judge Gregory A. Presnell did when he ordered the two attorneys to settle their differences with a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. You can read more about Avista Management v. Wausau Underwriters Insurance and other humorous legal cases on Gavel2Gavel.com
Are you addicted to groupons? Do you crave that rush you get every time you know that you’re going to get a dinner for half price? Me too! However, there is one small drawback to the wonderful world of groupons. What if you get all excited to try a new restaurant at a ridiculous value, only to find that the food is terrible? Or worse yet, you don’t buy the groupon to a fantastic restaurant because you are unfamiliar with the place, and all your friends keep describing the fantastic experience you missed. Well, the answer to your prayers was right there all along. http://www.yelp.com/jacksonville-fl
Yelp’s super powers go beyond simply helping you choose a restaurant. Yelp will guide to amazing stores for shopping, massages, doctors’ offices, and more.
If you are not a native Floridian, you may not know all the great plants that thrive in the humid Florida climate. This website helps you out with expert advice, an interactive yard program and a plant database. It’s a must read before the growing season starts!
Take a look at Florida Yards.org
Looking for something fun that also supports local farmers? Go to the Farmers Riverside Arts Market otherwise known as FRAM. It is located the under the canopy of the Fuller Warren Bridge at 715 Riverside Avenue. It is open from 10am to 1pm only on Saturdays and you will find many local farmers and specialty food vendors. A student told me about it and I go whenever I have a Saturday off. Also note they welcome well behaved dogs! Bring your dogs and have a great time! (Note, on March 3rd, the whole Riverside Arts Market opens back up too!)
Need something to do this weekend to get your mind off the past week? The past month? Well, this weekend is full of exciting things to do in Jacksonville. In case you missed the past few months somehow, this Sunday is SUPER BOWL SUNDAY! The Giants and Patriots will duke it out in Indianapolis this Sunday February 5, 2012 at 6:30pm.
If you aren’t into football you can catch a day filled with basketball at Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday February 4, 2012. The Jacksonville University Women’s and then the Men’s Basketball teams will play against Florida Gulf Coast University. If that’s not enough basketball for you stick around to see Jacksonville’s minor league basketball team the Giants defend against the Fayetteville Flight at 7:00pm.
Not a sports fan? Check out First Coast Fashion Week. There are cocktail parties, runway shows, and after parties Friday and Saturday nights. Tickets are still available.
If Salvador Dali is more your style, then don’t miss the closing of the Avondale Artwork’s presentation of Salvador Dali: The Argillet Collection.
Have a Great Weekend!