A conversation with Coastal Law’s Alan Smodic

Alan Smodic

Meet Alan Smodic, Coastal Law’s Web Communications Specialist. Curious about the title? In short, Alan is responsible for expanding and monitoring the school’s online reach and presence. He does this by using various web technologies designed to integrate the school’s brand standards and expand current marketing strategies to a greater audience online. But like the web in general, his position requires a significant amount of versatility. Between creating and distributing online content, he creates ads, designs images and websites, and edits copy.

What is your background?

I am originally from Masontown, Pennsylvania, a small town located next to the West Virginia border. After finishing my degree at the University of Pittsburgh, I moved to Bluffton, South Carolina where I worked as a news reporter and web administrator for two years prior to beginning with Coastal Law. While my schooling is in English, writing and journalism, my passion is in technology and web communications. I created my first website in high school and possess experience in design, online media, marketing and web development.

Why do you think Coastal Law decided to create this position?

I believe Coastal created this position because the web continues to grow each day. More specifically, it’s becoming the primary way people reach out to one another, find information, conduct business and just spend their time. To take advantage of this medium effectively, the same emphasis that print media and prior strategies have received in the past needed to be placed upon it.

What do you enjoy most about the job?

What I enjoy most about the job is the opportunity to do exactly the type of work for which I have a strong passion, while getting to spend each day with an incredible group of people in our department. It is rare to find yourself in such a good situation and it’s something I do not take for granted.

What do you do in your spare time?

When not at work, you can usually find me in my home office doing much of the same stuff — building websites, thinking of crazy projects to start, blogging and playing with social media. If I’m not doing that, I’m probably watching a Pittsburgh sports team win another championship, playing NHL 11 on PS3 or running with my dog, Butterscotch, at any local park.

What’s next for Coastal?

Everyone here at the school is already doing so many great things to advance the Coastal Law name, so it’s on our department to make that known. Whether it’s by our increased efforts in social media, development of an in-house blogging network or mobile applications, the ultimate goal is to find new and creative ways to speak of our successes and improve upon our shortcomings. I wouldn’t want to reveal all my secrets and plans, but the online space provides us the opportunity to do things we haven’t done before, and it’s in our best interest to take full advantage of the medium. I think, in the future, as we continue to integrate our communications projects, you’ll begin to see many more added benefits to everyone involved with the school — faculty, staff, students, prospective students, alumni and the general public. It’s really a concerted effort to provide outreach for everyone who seeks it.

————————-
FYI: Since joining the team in March 2010, Coastal Law’s official Facebook page has gained more than 500 followers and is beginning to serve as a main conversation piece between the school and its many audiences.