Have you recently started a new job? Moved to a new city? Had an impromptu reunion with another Coastal Law graduate?
Let us know so we can spread the word. E-mail the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Scott Kinlaw has been working as the Administrator of a private Christian K-12 academy in Jacksonville, Florida since March 2000.
• Ravi Sanyal recently opened his own practice in Charleston, South Carolina, The Sanyal Law Firm, LLC.
• Teena Strickland is engaged.
• Debbie K. Winicki writes, “My son Christian Winicki ’06 and his wife Chelsea Winicki ’06 have a baby girl, Kiely. My granddaughter was born October 2011.”
• Ann Zonderman is currently working as an investigator at the California Department of Public Health in San Jose, California.
• MaRia Rogers is retired from the U.S. Navy and is a proud plank owner. Her practice in Jacksonville, Florida, MaRia Rogers, PA, focuses mainly on serving the military community – active, veterans and retired as well as their families.
• Charles “Chuck” Keller Jr. was recently promoted to Vice President Customer Service Program Management, CitiBank. Chuck has been with CitiBank for 12 years and is currently the Operations Lead Project Manager for the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Brokerage Conversion.
• James Dixon is currently working as a team leader for the Navy’s Adversary program providing engineering and logistic support services ensuring safety of flight for F-5F/N and F-16A/B aircraft.
• David “Mac” McKeand was featured in The Wall Street Journal article “Who’s the Ostrich?” on November 28, 2011 about an international case he was working on.
Congratulations to Cynthia Scavelli, ’02 Esq., CCEP
FIS Corporate Compliance and Ethics Counsel, for being honored as one of the Jacksonville Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 for 2012.
Cindy is recognized among a variety of professionals who are succeeding in business and making a contribution to the community around them. These 40 professionals were chosen from 175 nominations. The list of honorees includes lawyers, construction and real estate professionals, entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and a doctor, among others.
Scavelli has worked for FIS since 2009. She is responsible for ethics awareness, ethics training, ethics hotline investigations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), third-party due diligence, global anti-bribery training, compliance of the company’s Document Retention and Management Policy for domestic business and monitoring legislative/regulatory changes for selected business units.
• Larry Ables was recently reappointed as the Chief Magistrate of Hamilton County Tennessee. This is his fifth appointment in five years.
• Tobe Karrh was promoted to Chief Assistant Public Defender of the Middle Judicial Circuit in Georgia.
• Amanda H. Meadows is pleased to announce the formation of Meadows Law Group, P.A., specializing in civil appellate, administrative law, real estate matters, and personal injury. The firm is located in St. Petersburg, Florida. Please forward all inquiries to email@example.com.
• Following his tenure as an Assistant State Attorney in Hillsborough County, Kenneth Skinner is now in private practice at Sisco Law in Tampa, Florida.
• Jo-Anne Yau was presented the Woman of Steel award in March at Entrepreneurs Anchor Magazine’s annual Masters of the Industry awards banquet. Jo-Anne was also a finalist for the coveted Entrepreneur of the Year award, presented by the Women Business Owners of North Florida.
• Pamela Brown recently moved to Orlando, Florida to practice at the law firm of Broad and Cassel.
• Clark Wilson and Sindy Dean of Houston, Texas were married in June at the Emory Presbyterian Church with a reception at the Piedmont Room on Piedmont Park.
• Larry Hipsh recently opened his own firm in Shalimar, Florida.
• Sean Donovan recently opened his own firm in Lutz, Florida.
• Carey Carmichael is an Assistant Attorney General for Florida. He is assigned to the Revenue Litigation Bureau in the Tallahassee office. He practices in tax litigation, tax fraud, tax evasion, and business and professional regulation.
• Douglas Chanco writes, “Jason Scott Smith ’05 and I attended the National College of DUI Defense lawyers annual Summer Session at Harvard Law School last summer and plan on doing the same this year.”
• Amber Austin Channell has resumed teaching paralegal courses at Everest College in Tacoma, Washington and is currently an Associate at Family Law Resolutions.
• Miami Alumni Chapter President, Spencer Mallard and Kristy Westwood were married on June 2, 2012 in Miami, Florida.
• Brandon Cabot was chosen for inclusion in the 2012 Super Lawyers ‘Rising Star’ section for Atlanta. Brandon is currently working for the firm James A. Rice, Jr., P.C.
• Daniel Iracki recently became a partner at Block & Iracki, P.A. in Jacksonville, Florida.
• Jonathan Martin and Melissa Farmer Martin ’06 are married and have a baby girl named Eleni born February 18. He writes, “We hope to send her to FCSL!”
• Megan Elizabeth Richards has been practicing in the Tampa Bay area since 2010 and joined Florida Legal Group in May of 2011. She practices PIP insurance litigation, representing doctors, chiropractors, and other medical professionals.
• Neil Dhawan is currently an Associate at Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., LPA. Neil will be practicing in the Integrated Real Estate Default Group of the Chicago, Illinois office.
In January 2011, Weatherly Hulsey ’08 and her husband John Mark began putting together plans to take a sabbatical from the “(North) American Dream” and decided to move to Latin America to serve with a ministry involved with orphan care and advocacy.
They decided to go through an immersion program at first to learn more about the language and the culture. They started working in Bogota, Colombia then moved to Cartagena, Colombia. They were later introduced to a great organization in Cochabamba, Bolivia called International Orphanage Union that builds, staffs and supports private orphanages. The International Orphanage Union is a non-profit organization that houses and feeds the orphaned and abandoned children in Bolivia. To read more about their adventures visit www.thehulseys.com.
• Helen Fitzpatrick is working as an Assistant District Attorney for the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In addition to her duties as a prosecutor, she was appointed by the district attorney as the LGBT Liaison for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office.
• Michelle Gomez and Daniel Hinden were married on February 25, 2012.
• Ashley McKibbin has been working for Barbri as a staff attorney for the last two years in Tampa, Florida and is recently engaged to Bradley Stein.
Melanie Schneider ’08 writes, “I am thrilled to announce I have started my own law practice. I’m specializing in criminal defense and family law. My office is based in Louisville, Kentucky (Jefferson County), but I occasionally represent clients with legal matters in surrounding counties. If you need any assistance with a legal issue in Kentucky, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I also have local contacts for personal injury, collections, bankruptcy, and wills, and I will be happy to refer you.”
• Preston H. Oughton now employs two Florida Coastal alumni and two Florida Coastal students. The firm, Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, P.A. – Real Estate – Bankruptcy, is proud to introduce S. Michael Nail as our newest law clerk.
• Christine Parrish Palmer was recently promoted to Managing Attorney at Melville Johnson PC in Atlanta, Georgia.
• William Saltzman writes “I always enjoy working with fellow Florida Coastal alumni as opposing counsel here in the Fifth Circuit; Jarod Gilbert ’07 and Sarah Acree ’04; it’s fun to work with Stephen Teaster ’06 as well.”
• Bjorn Anderson moved in November 2011 from Alexandria, Virginia and accepted a position at McKeon, Meunier, Carlin & Curfman, an IP property law firm in Atlanta, Georgia.
• Rachel Beatty has been admitted to the Washington, D.C. Bar.
• Gary Fernandez is working for Davis & Fernandes Sr., PA, in Gainesville, Florida.
• Kelly McCaffrey opened her own small law firm in San Diego, California in February 2011, Huston | McCaffrey, LLP.
• Ben Scheuring recently moved into a new home in Omaha, Nebraska. He and his wife are expecting their first child in July.
• Laurel Harris moved to Jackson, Mississippi and is working for the Law Firm of Porter & Malouf, P.A.
• Jeff Jackson recently accepted a job offer from The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
• Patrick Joyce started a job in Jacksonville, Florida as a staff attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in January 2011.
• On April 20, the Colorado Federal District Court entered its order certifying Andrew C. Montoya and other co-counsel as class counsel for a nationwide class action against Hollister stores nationwide. The case involves wheelchair access at Hollister stores that feature elevated porch-like entrances. More information and documents are available at http://ccdconline.org/case/615.
• Sean Murrell recently started his own practice, Murrell Law, in the Jacksonville, Florida area. He writes, “Business is really starting to take off. It is a dream come true!”
• William Walker is now working at Edwards & Ragatz, P.A. in Jacksonville, Florida.
• Sarah Spear Sands recently married Benjamin Sands and was also recently promoted to Senior Director, Legislative Affairs, AALU.
• Eric Roffer and Caitlin Mackey Roffer were married on May 28, 2011.
• Tanya M. Williams began working as an associate attorney at Haag, Haag & Friedrich, P.A., in Inverness, Florida in January 2012. Williams writes, “I have travelled to Jacksonville several times to visit with fellow alumna Caroline Kubovy.”
• In memoriam - Mrs. Rachel Almond Kirkham, Class of 2008 from Talcott, WV, passed away on Saturday, February 4, 2012. Memorial donations can be made to: Grandview Christian Church or Walk for Her Lifetime, Hinton, WV.