Foundation names first scholarship recipient

Dean Peter Goplerud and Florida Coastal School of Law Foundation board members Wally Lee, John “Jake” Schickel, and Linsay Warren present Caitlin Milo (shown with husband Joe Milo) the first Martha Sonnenschein Memorial Scholarship at the Martha and Irving Sonnenschein Courtroom Dedication Ceremony.

Out of the dozens of exceptional entries, Caitlin Milo was named the first recipient of the Martha Sonnenschein Memorial Scholarship by the Florida Coastal School of Law Foundation in a ceremony in November.

Milo, a Pennsylvania native and student in the class of 2013, was selected for the $5,000 scholarship award for her outstanding academics and leadership in and outside of the school.

This scholarship was created after Irving Sonnenschein donated a generous endowed scholarship gift of $250,000 to the school in honor of his late wife Martha.

“I had the privilege of working with Caitlin my whole first year,” said Stefano Portigliatti, Student Bar Association president and a friend of Milo. “I can say, from first-hand experience, she embodies professionalism, leadership, diligence, and virtue.”

Outside of school, Milo has worked pro bono both in the Federal District Court with Judge Timothy Corrigan and within an internship program at the Florida Supreme Court with Justice R. Fred Lewis. During her internship, Milo learned how greatly Florida Coastal had helped develop her leadership abilities because no other student in the internship program had the same quality or quantity of experiential opportunities she had.

“I think that this school really cares – as evidenced by this scholarship and the opportunities that I’ve had since I’ve been here,” said Milo. “I think it’s nice; it’s kind of like being a big fish in a small pond, not necessarily size-wise but in terms of how much emphasis they put on the students.”

In addition to her internships, Milo serves as editor-in-chief of the Law Review and has previously served as a teaching assistant as well as a Coastal Ambassador.

“My hope is that people will see the work I do on Law Review and with the ambassadors, and it will encourage them to pursue leadership positions,” said Milo. “I think there is an internal value that you get from leadership.”

Applications for the 2013 Sonnenschein Memorial Scholarship will be reviewed in August 2013. Apply online at alumni.fcsl.edu/Sonnenscheinscholarship.

,