If you are planning to attend any bar functions or other networking events this summer, arm yourself with these tips on how to work a room:
- Be genuine and be a good listener.
- Make eye contact with a great smile.
- Have a firm handshake.
- Read newspapers, magazines, and practice journals before the event for conversation topics.
- Practice department statements, such as “Please excuse me, I’m going to refresh my drink.”
- Circulate. Spend no more than 10 minutes with any person or group.
- Always thank your host before you leave.