If you are interested in private practice in a small firm, the GPSSF of the Florida Bar is a wealth of information. Some of their insight:
When do small firms recruit?
- Whenever the need arises – there is no set hiring cycle
- Small firms typically do not have a formal summer-associate program.
How do small firms advertise their openings?
- 80% of the openings are advertised by word-of-mouth
- Cannot rely solely upon career services postings as most small firms do not participate in on-campus interviews or list openings with career offices at law schools.
Then how do you find a job in small firm practice?
- Volunteer to participate in service projects in local bar organizations or law offices
- Do a targeted mailing -The National Association of Legal Professionals survey indicates that over 22% of law students gained their post-graduation position by conducting a targeted mailing.