- Often where you grew up or lived for a length of time.
- Enables you to relate more easily to office staff, other attorneys, and clients.
- Makes you more likely to share the same value system as others in the organization.
- Where does your immediate family live?
- Where does your extended family live?
- Where did you grow up?
- Where did you attend college?
- Where is your spouse or significant other from?
- Is there a law school nearby?
- What is the average starting salary compared to other locales?
- What is the state of the local economy?
Also, talk with local practitioners to find out what practice areas are growing and which nearby legal communities are busiest.
- Where are legal employers HIRING?
- Where do I have ROOTS and CONNECTIONS?
- Where will I blend with the CULTURE?
Make an appointment with a Career Services Counselor today to discuss where you should practice!
- How likeable you are.
- How well you fit with the team.
- Whether you share the same values as the organization.
Networking allows you to demonstrate these qualities by building professional relationships apart from your professional achievements.
2. Be prepared to invest significant time in building relationships.
3. Be willing to hear the word “no” without fear of rejection. You only need one “yes.”
4. Look for people with whom you naturally have a rapport.
5. Be sincere in your communications.
If you are looking for job postings for an out-of-state job search, check out the BYU Intercollegiate Job Bank. This site offers job postings from a large number of law schools throughout the country. It is password protected, but you can obtain the login information by coming by the Career Services Office to pick up a yellow bookmark.
Do you want to learn more about your target market?
Join the Networking Clubs!
The first meeting for each Club is listed below:
- Orlando Thursday, November 10th at 3:30 p.m. in Room 565
Counselor: Amber Williams at email@example.com
- Miami Thursday, November 10th at 12:00 p.m. in Room 405
Counselor: Jennifer Turney at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Atlanta Thursday, November 10th at 5:00 p.m. in Room 450
Counselor: Kimberly Reid at email@example.com
- Washington, D.C. Wednesday, November 9th at 5:00 p.m. in Room 450
Counselor: Ellen Sefton at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to join any of the Networking Clubs, please email the designated advisor. Note that students may belong to Networking Clubs in more than one market.