Please note that we have not designed this event as a venue for employer recruitment. Rather, The Starting Line is an educational event exclusively for 1Ls, which we hope will demonstrate the versatility of the Juris Doctor degree and provide you with an opportunity to speak with a diverse group of attorneys about their own career paths in the law.
You should NOT bring copies of your resume to the event. Bring a notepad and pen with you and before you attend, jot down questions that you want to ask. Take note of responses, advice and anecdotes that you receive. This may be helpful information for you to re-visit. Remember, The Starting Line is not a recruitment event. We hope that the following sample questions will help you get the conversation flowing with our attorney participants:
- Can you tell me a little about your job/your firm/your organization?
- How did you obtain your job?
- Did you begin your career with this firm/organization?
- If not, what steps did you have to take to get this kind of job?
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
- What does your firm/organization look for when hiring new associates?
- What types of interesting projects have you worked on recently?
- Are there any professional associations that I should join to put me in touch with other attorneys in this field?
- Do you have any advice on the best way to position myself to enter this practice area/obtain this type of job?
- * Avoid questions regarding attorney compensation. Our office can provide you with this kind of data.*
If you enjoy speaking with specific attorney participants and want to learn more about their practice, simply follow up with a formal letter (or a phone call) requesting a brief informational meeting.
- Coastal Law - Academic Success
- Winn-Dixie/BiLo Holdings
- Deutsche Bank
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- United States Attorney's Office
- City of Jacksonville, Ombudsman's Office
- Three Rivers
- Guardian ad Litem
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Office of the Public Defender, 4th Judicial Circuit
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Florida- Chamber of Harvey Schlesinger
- Judicial Staff Attorney's Office, 4th Judicial Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Florida- Chamber of James. R. Klindt
- Murrell Law
- Paul J. Healy, Attorney at Law
- Law Office of Grayling E. Brannon
- The Green Law Firm
- Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin, P.A.
- The Law Place of Jacksonville, P.A.
- Brennan Manna & Diamond, PL
- Yau Law Firm
- Plata Schott Attorneys & Counselors at Law
- Jimerson & Cobb, P.A.
- Wicker Smith O'Hara McCoy & Ford, P.A.
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Alexander DeGance Barnett, P.A.
Please RSVP on Symplicity by Monday, November 10th. You can log into Symplicity at https://law-fcsl-csm.symplicity.com/students using the same email address and password that you use to access your Florida Coastal account. Click on the "Events" tab and select Starting Line. Note: You will need to fill out your profile first. You will receive an e-mail confirmation reminder that you will need to print one copy of your resume and bring it with you to the event. Check-in for students will begin in the lobby of the school at 4:30 p.m.
Since you will be wearing business attire, we will have a photographer set-up prior to the start of the "Starting Line" to take professional headshots (great for LinkedIn accounts). The photographer will be set-up in the student lounge and will be taking pictures between 4:00 PM-5:00 PM. In order to get your picture taken, you must be in line no later than 4:50 PM.