Professors Boeckman, Sullivan, and Tuttle win ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award

Florida Coastal has received the ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award for the pro bono representation of military service-members by Professors Laura Boeckman, Natalie Tuttle, and Sarah Sullivan.  This award comes from the Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel (LAMP). National recognition by the ABA is a testament to the faculty of Florida Coastal and the outstanding work of Boeckman, Sullivan, and Tuttle.

Read full article here

“Anytime my expertise can be of assistance, whether it’s through the Wounded Warrior Project or through ABA, I feel compelled to do it,” said Sarah Sullivan. “I really enjoy doing it and I feel that it’s a way I can give back.  If there’s any way that we can assist them, whether it’s legal assistance or otherwise, we have a duty to help them because they’ve sacrificed so much for our freedom and for our way of life.”  

The LAMP committee reserves annual awards for individual attorneys, law firms, and corporate law departments that have provided extraordinary pro bono services through the ABA Military Pro Bono Project. Awards winners are determined by the number of pro bono cases accepted and the amount of hours reported for completed cases. For this award, Professor Boeckman provided service members with assistance in consumer law cases while Professors Sullivan and Tuttle specialized in Family law.

“They deserve it – they go into harm’s way for us,” said Natalie Tuttle. “They sacrifice a lot for us. I see a lot of service members who are overseas while their wives our pregnant.  It’s hard for them – they shouldn’t have to worry about their families and what’s happening at home. It’s just the right thing to do.”

All three professors share connections to military in their own families and enjoy utilizing their knowledge in order to make life easier for service members and their families.

“I know how much I appreciate it when someone helps out my husband,” said Laura Boeckman. “There’s not a whole lot I can do outside the legal profession to help people.  This is something that I can do - that not everyone can do. It is just nice to make such a big difference in somebody’s life with something that is within my realm of expertise and comes relatively easy for me to be able to do.”