This time of year our thoughts turn to having fun outdoors. Why not take a look at the new summer resources? When thinking of a Jacksonville Suns baseball game why not take The baseball trust: a history of baseball’s antitrust exemption along for the fun? Are you camping this summer? We have you covered there too; Environmental and natural resources law is just the thing to pack. We just received these great new titles and many others too, take a look.
It’s not baseball season yet (almost though!), but it is never too early to think about potential baseball related lawsuits. A spectator filed suit against the Royals because Sluggerrr [sic], the mascot, threw hot dogs into the crowd, hitting him in the face and injuring his eye. Although a jury found against him, he still has hope, as the case was reversed and remanded.
How can you find interesting cases like this to read? Well, you can comb state court sites. Many, like Missouri, have a site dedicated to the courts. Here is Florida’s, for example. Once you are in a court site, though, you may have to dig for opinions. The best way in Missouri is to click on Opinions and Minutes from the Legal Resources drop down menu, then choose a court at the bottom (like the Western Appellate District), but you will have to explore in other court webpages. Once you do that in Missouri, there is a search function, and you can enter fun things like baseball hot dog. That gets you the opinion from above and the fun quote: “the risk of being hit in the face by a hot dog is not a well-known incidental risk of attending a baseball game.” I wonder about peanuts…
Time will become a precious commodity on Monday as classes begin for the fall semester, so make the most of your last couple of days without classes. Here are a few activities you can do this weekend. Saturday there is the Mega Talent Show downtown or check out Folio Weekly’s list of happenings this weekend. Finally, don’t miss out on the fun with the Jacksonville Suns, on Sunday they take on the Birmingham Barons.
If you have any tips on things to do in Jacksonville and surrounding areas, feel free to let us know on our Facebook page!
Welcome to the heart of summer here in Jacksonville. The heat is here to stay, but at least we’ll stay in the double digits all weekend and won’t go near 100 degrees for a while.
One positive about summer in Florida is the availability of fresh produce – not just supermarket fresh, but farmer’s-market fresh! Take a break this weekend to get some fresh air and some fresh food!
Click Continue reading for info on some of the Farmer’s Markets open this weekend (all free!) and other events.
If you have any tips on things to do in Jacksonville and surrounding areas, feel free to send them to me to be included in future posts.
Memorial day weekend and the unofficial start to summer! Be sure to check the library hours, as we will be closed on Monday!
All weekend –
- Jazz Festival is happening downtown Friday through Sunday for free! Friday night features Sonny Rollins, see the full schedule for the other artists.
- Up for a drive? Palatka is hosting the Blue Crab Festival this weekend! Looks like fun.
- Theater your thing? After Ashley, a dark comedy produced by the Atlantic Beach Experimental Theatre, is at the Adele Grage Cultural Center Friday and Saturday nights at 8 t. $15 cash or check only.
Friday, May 25th –
- The Jacksonville Beach Moonlight Movie Series kicks off with Men in Black at 9 pm at the Sea Walk Pavilion.
- Take a candlelight tour of Fort Clinch selected Fridays and Saturdays through Labor Day Weekend, including this weekend!
Saturday, May 26th –
- The Riverside Arts Market (RAM) is back in full swing under the Fuller Warren Bridge from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Sweet Pete’s Bee Palooza is all about the honey! From sustainable bee gardens to honey marshmallows, Sweet Pete’s has bees covered!
Sunday, May 27th –
- Visit MOSH (the Museum of Science and History) to see the latest exhibit: Victory Begins at Home: Florida During World War II.
Monday, May 28th –
- Of course, it’s a federal holiday, so here’s a list of all of the offices that will be closed Monday.